Closet Cleanout

28 March 2014


A change in season often comes with a review of the closet. My closet is currently home to a number of sweaters and thick clothes that I've *kinda* hoarded because of the cool weather we enjoyed in Manila from December 2013 until around February. But it's now time to make room for summer-appropriate clothing. Closet cleaning used to be very challenging because I clung to clothes which I felt would fit me better after a few months or clothes with require minimal (I thought) repairs. I now have a checklist of things to consider before throwing or giving clothes away to those who could make better use of them.


Does it fit?
If it does not fit anymore, chuck it. Eventually you'll store it again in your closet leaving it forgotten. Give it away or sell it.

Do I feel comfortable wearing it?
If you think you'll be tugging at your clothes while you're wearing it or you'll be garnering unwanted looks and questions from your friends as to your wardrobe choice--then I suggest you chuck it already. If you don't feel comfortable in your clothes, it's going to show.

How long has it been since I used it?
If there is a significant pause after this question, then it's time to let that article of clothing go.

If it needs repair... would it cost too much to fix it?
If there is a stain or a hole in it-- consider how much time and money you'll have to spend on making it look good as new again.

Is it still in style?
I love classics, but I also have a tendency to follow fads. I've learned that in following fads don't spend too much on it since it's fleeting and you'll end up giving it up sooner than you think.

Happy Spring Cleaning!

Images via

8 comments

  1. Ugh, reminds me that my closet is too full of clothes I don't use anymore. Mus do some spring cleaning soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a sigh-worthy task, but it has to be done! haha! Good luck, Nathalie! :)

      Delete
  2. Sigh my closet needs some spring cleaning as well. Thank you for the tips :)

    www.jacquelineuy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome! :) thanks for dropping by, Jacqueline :)

      Delete
  3. Great advice. I've only gotten around to cleaning my closet when I got married because we were moving. Unbelievable how much stuff I had that I no longer used!
    The Mrs. Diaz Chronicle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered how much clothes, bags, shoes, etc. I had to throw/ give away when I moved to a new place, too! Thank you for dropping by, Mrs. Diaz! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm jealous because I couldn't fix mine. I have troubles throwing away some of things I own because Im quite a sentimental. :|

    Leah @ Curiousweekends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sentimenal, too and yeah that is a quite a challenge when sifting through stuff that I've considered throwing or giving away.

      Delete

Copyright © primp & paper
Design by Fearne