Caprese Toast

28 April 2014


I'm a mess in the kitchen-- I've mastered Puttanesca now but I wanted to add more to the stuff I can make so I thought sandwiches would be harmless, right? Usually when I do my experiments in the kitchen my brother is always up for the task of trying out the results. Like me, he loves cheese, too so when I told him there was mozzarella involved he got excited. This recipe is easy to make and vegetarian (and kid) - friendly.


Traditionally, a Caprese salad would need fresh basil leaves-- but there is no way my little brother would eat anything green and leafy unless he knew it very well like lettuce. So my alternative was pesto which I got from the supermarket.


Ingredients:
{serves 4}

4 slices of Rye / Ciabatta bread
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pesto (alternative to fresh Basil leaves)
1 pound of Mozzarella, sliced 1/4 thick
1 large heirloom tomato, sliced 1/4 thick
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
Salt and pepper to taste


Step 1: Drizzle olive oil on your bread slices then pop that into your toaster for a minute or two to warm it. Once that's done, rub a clove of garlic on it. 


Step 2: Spread pesto, add tomato slices, salt and pepper and then mozzarella. I like to flatten out the mozzarella with a rolling pin so it spreads better when it melts in the toaster. Pop that in the toaster for the three to four minutes then serve while still piping hot.



{added dried basil leaves on top and olives on the side}

1 comment

  1. Melanie Medrano04 May, 2014 00:03

    looks delish and very healthy... thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © primp & paper
Design by Fearne