What's in my bag? {Grad School Ed.}

09 September 2014


{Grad School essentials}

I've broken many bags in the past for lugging too much stuff with me when I go to school-- this trait of mine carried on into graduate school and brought with it so much back pain. Juggling work and school is tough for sure and one thing I had to learn is to declutter. I have a separate bag for work and for school which I'm slowly learning to just fill in with the essentials (Not included in the photograph: occasional mountain of printed readings). I need a bag and the essentials which will keep me focused on school and not veering off towards work.


1. Notebooks. I used to have just one notebook for all my classes until one of my professors suggested that the class keep separate notebooks for classes-- I was more than willing to oblige. These Muji notebooks are great since the pages are thick and you can doodle on the cover.

2. Highlighter. For highlighting salient features on readings. I'm partial to the yellow highlighter from Faber Castell because it's crazy bright.

3. Pens. I love pens. I keep different colored pens with me for taking down notes, for scribbling on margins of articles, doodling, etc.

4. Flash Drive. For when I need to copy a presentation of a classmate or to get a copy of some reading materials.


5. Shawl. Classrooms can be pretty chilly! Especially for evening classes. Sweaters can be quite bulky in the bag so thick shawls are your best bet.

6. and 7. I like to keep my loose change and small bills in a coin purse so I don't need to whip out my big wallet for paying for photocopying services, etc.

8. Umbrella. For when the weather gets bi-polar and rain showers greet you on your way to school or on your way back home.

9. Candy. THIS IS A MUST-HAVE. Classes are usually three hours long and most professors do not give breaks. When the brain has ceased to function and sleep starts to consume your entire self, candy is necessary. Classmates will thank you if you have enough for the class. I'm partial to chewy candy and chocolates.


10. Mirror. For when you need to check if you have ink or whatever kind of dirt on your face. Or when you have something wedged between your teeth if you like to munch in class like me.

11. Lip balm. Chilly rooms will make your lips dry. Lip balm will be your friend. 

12. and 13. Classrooms make me pale. Is it the lighting? Or the nerves? Or perhaps the evening classes make me so tired. To combat looking like I'm not interested in the class I just pat a bit of cheek tint on and a swipe of this balm stain

14. Oil Control Film. I use this prior to getting to class. My face is oily most of the time so to combat the shine I've accumulated in transit, I keep these at hand.

15. Hand Sanitizer. To clean my hands before I eat. (See no. 9)


16. Tablet. For reading materials and for viewing presentations. And quick surfing when you need information ASAP.

17. Power Bank. My phone (which is already begging for a replacement) has a pathetic battery life so constant charging is necessary.

18. Phone. Of course. 

I'd like to know, for those of you who are in graduate school-- do you keep a different bag for school? What are your essentials?

3 comments

  1. Super cute! Love this post!
    ~Mel

    http://girlandthepolkadot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. the things in your bag are too cute!

    http://only4feet9.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © primp & paper
Design by Fearne