The bedside table is not merely a stand for your phone while you doze off. It's supposed to hold all other things that are useful to you before you go to bed and when you wake up. The trick to styling the bedside table is to knowing your bedside habits and designing the table accordingly.
What you might need:
1. Lamp - Get a lamp that provides enough light for relaxation or for reading.
2. Decorative Element - A small potted plant, a small vase with fresh flowers, a photo of your loved ones, art work, whatever -- this would spruce up the little space for your bedside essentials.
3. Clock - If your phone's alarm won't suffice. Personally I like keeping my clock far from the bed. That way I'd make an effort to really get out of bed and walk a bit to wake me up.
Keep in Mind:
1. Layer - Mix up the height of the objects on your bedside table. Keep the lamp tall and everything else shorter. You don't want to put a tall vase near a tall lamp, otherwise you might accidentally knock over the vase when reaching towards the lamp.
2. Keep it Simple - You want to foster a relaxing atmosphere around the bed so keep things at a minimum. My bedside table used to house so many things. Eventually I'd pile other things on it until it'll get so cluttered and I'd fuss over it than retire for the night right away. Make sure that the bedside table will just have the essentials. All the time.