Skincare Review: Etude House Skin [mal:gem] Emulsion & Nature Republic Bulgarian Rose Essence

17 March 2015


I've always been intrigued by the skincare regimen of Korean women because they have the most amazing skin. I've been told that their regimen is extensive to say the least. They take moisturizing seriously and face masks are used on a daily basis. I've tried the nightly face mask routine and it really did wonders for my skin-- it was just getting too costly so I thought I'd cut back on the masks and focus more on moisturizers: Etude House's Skin [mal:gem] Emulsion and Nature Republic's Bulgarian Rose Essence.


An Emulsion is a light moisturizer. Most people with oily skin tend to favor this product because it's usually water-based, giving it a lighter texture. 

I've been using this since December and I love that it doesn't slide off my skin even when it's hot. I'm used to using gel moisturizers so I found the texture to be a bit thick and it takes a while for the skin to absorb the product; but it has really helped keep my face looking supple. Back in December I would just use this during the evenings. There was noticeable improvement when I started using it in the morning, too.

Pros
+ reasonably priced; retails for P678 for 200ml. I've been using this daily for close to 3 months now but I've yet to reach half of the bottle
- consistent use yields great results
- no breakouts! works well even with sensitive skin

Cons
- the scent might be a turn-off for some
- takes a while for skin to absorb
- I wish they had a pump to dispense the product properly; sometimes when I tip the bottle more than necessary, the product gushes out
- bottle is not squeezable so you might have a hard time dispensing the product when you're nearly through with the bottle

Would I purchase this again?
Yup! I love its effect on my skin. Did not give me any skin problems at all.

{Nature Republic Bulgarian Rose Essence}

An Essence contains the concentrate of ingredients for specific purposes. Most Essences in the market are for whitening, reducing the appearance of pores, wrinkles and fine lines. Similar to emulsions, an Essence is water-y and light-- very similar to a toner although a bit thicker. 

Nature Republic's Bulgarian Rose Essence is one of those products that I bought on a whim. I went to Nature Republic to try their BB Cream and left the store with the Bulgarian Rose Essence as well. Taking the moisturizing regimen up a notch, I thought I'd incorporate the Essence in my skincare routine. The saleslady I spoke with advised me that this can be used for both daytime and nighttime. I consulted that I was using an Emulsion (didn't specify from which Korean brand) and she said it was fine using both. When I quizzed her on which product to use first she told me to put on the product with the thinner texture first. So for my routine, I'd pat this on my face before the Etude House Emulsion. My face is constantly red but I've noticed the decrease in redness a few weeks after using this in the morning and in the evening. 

Pros
+ no breakouts!
+ reasonably priced: P255 for a 30ml bottle. The bottle is tiny but a little of the product goes a long way
+  if you love the rose scent, you'll love this. If they made a perfume for the Bulgarian Rose line I'd buy one stat
+ comes with a pump so dispensing the product won't be a problem

Cons
- none!

Will I buy this again?
Yup! Although I'd like to try other Essences that Nature Republic offers.

6 comments

  1. These some like amazing products

    www.girlandthepolkadot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I know it's about the skincare but that jewellery is so cute!

    Danika Maia

    http://www.danikamaia.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reminder that I really need to take better care of my skin. As an oily girl, I'd probably prefer the 1st one. Did you order it online?

    www.vanessasrunway.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have oily skin too but both work well on me :) They have stores in the Philippines so I didn't need to order online :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © primp & paper
Design by Fearne