Beauty Review || REVLON Colorstay Pressed Powder

24 June 2015

I've been a fan of Revlon for a while now but it was only a few weeks ago that I tried their pressed powder. I didn't do much research prior to purchasing the Revlon Colorstay Pressed Powder, since I've heard good things from the Colorstay line.
According to Revlon, the Colorstay Pressed Powder is of "Exclusive ColorStay™ jet-milled formula for ultra-fine, lightweight texture helps to minimize shine and creates a fresh, flawless finish that lasts for up to 16 hours over makeup. Lightweight and comfortable, this powder lasts all day without drying or caking." 

Revlon also claims the powder to have the following features:
- Oil-free, non-irritating, and won’t clog pores
- Smooth over makeup, concealer, or bare skin
I was in the market for a lightweight pressed powder that would provide minimal coverage and would combat shine pretty much the entire time I'm in the office (9AM to 7PM). Since I'm acidic, it's important that the powder would not oxidize. And of course, the product shouldn't clog my pores and cause breakouts. 
I got it in Fair, which is the lightest shade just so if it would oxidize it would still match my skin tone. Fortunately though, this powder did not oxidize on my face and the shade still matched my skin tone perfectly. 
The Revlon Colorstay powder is certainly very fine-- just a few swirls of my brush on the pan gets a lot of product. It's so fine in fact that it was so hard to photograph. It just took away the shine on my face. Sadly though, the powder has a chalky finish which makes visible pores and unsightly marks more visible. It kept shine at bay for a maximum of four (4) hours on me-- but what I liked about it is that it kept my concealer in place. If you have great skin, this is a good option for you. If not, this is better off used as a finishing powder. 
Design
I actually like the design of the compact-- I can easily spot it in my bulging (at times...) vanity bag with black lining. Some girls are irked by its bulky design, which is understandable because the pan is meant to be lifted for the compartment for the puff and the mirror. Now this I find weird-- why would you put the mirror under the pan? I keep having a hard time swirling my brush on the pan and then lifting it so I could apply the powder with a mirror. 

Pros
+ Milled very fine
+ Does not cake
+ Does not oxidize
+ Does not cause breakouts
+ Can keep shine at bay (not for 16 hours though)
+ Lightweight

Cons
- Might be expensive for a pressed powder that might not be up to everyone's liking
- Chalky finish -- can seem obvious that you put powder on (it goes away after an hour though)
- Tendency to highlight visible pores and unsightly marks
- Veeeeeeeeeeery minimal coverage
Will I purchase this again?
I don't think I'll be purchasing the Revlon Colorstay Pressed Powder again. There are other pressed powders in the market that are better and are at much lower price points. I'm actually in a hurry to finish the product (LOL) so I can buy another one. Again this is better of used as a finishing powder. You can put on a lightweight foundation first then finish off with this one.

The Revlon Colorstay Pressed Powder retails for P825 and is available at most Department Stores.

Post a Comment

Copyright © primp & paper
Design by Fearne